Friday, December 19, 2008

A Frugal Snack Mix



Every Thanksgiving weekend my sister the weaver participates in an open studio event called the Putney Craft Tour. I usually stay at her house for the weekend so I help with the snacks: a pot of chai and a bowl of snack mix. I'm going to share my process for putting together a frugal snack mix, because it's makes a lovely addition to a table of holiday appetizers.

It really only takes a pound or two of snack mix for 15-20 people if it's one appetizer among others. To start, I usually go to the grocery store or coop and check out what's in the bulk bins. Seeds tend to be a lot cheaper than nuts, and they have a similar mouth feel. There are also some lovely crunchy items like corn nuts or soy nuts that work well in a snack mix.

I decide what I want to use before I start putting it in bags. I buy more of the cheaper stuff, and less of the expensive stuff, but I make sure that everything I use is appealing. It doesn't take much of any one thing, so I only buy small quantities. Two cups of most liquids weigh about a pound, so I shoot for about half a cup of each ingredient, which usually weighs less than a quarter pound.

Once I choose 4 or 5 nutty, salty items, I also look for some dry fruit to add. Again, it only takes about a quarter of a pound. Raisins and dried cranberries tend to be cheapest; they also have the advantage of being small, so you can distribute the sweetness well throughout the mix. Some stores don't sell dried fruit in bulk bins because it's so sticky. If I can't find the dried fruit in bulk I usually buy the smallest possible quantity, like a 3-pack of the tiny snack packs, unless I know what I'm going to do with the leftovers from a larger bag.

I usually bulk up my snack mix with some kind of crunchy, commercial item as well, ideally an inexpensive one. Pretzel goldfish are nice; so are chow mein noodles.

It's inexpensive, and it's special.

No comments: