Friday, May 7, 2010

Simple, Tasty Sorrel Soup



This one's for Dena, who's been wanting sorrel soup. It's supports my conviction that a recipe isn't necessarily better with twenty ingredients than it is with only a handful, assuming they're the right handful. The parsnips are sweet. The sorrel is tart. The leeks, garlic and stock give it depth.

I started with a few cups of stock. Cleaned a leek, chopped it coarsely and threw it in. Then I cut a couple of parsnips into chunks and added them too, along with a couple of peeled garlic cloves. I used one bunch of sorrel, which turned out to be about a packed cup of leaves, once I trimmed the thick part of the stems and chopped the leaves coarsely. Then I seasoned it simply with salt and pepper. After boiling it for about 45 minutes, I whizzed it all in the food processor. It made a hearty, thick soup. You can use extra stock, of course, if you don't want it to be so thick.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Debra Daniels-Zeller said...

This sounds so good but what else might you use besides parsnips? Broccoli? Cauliflower? Potatoes? Just wondering . . .

Devra said...

I'm thinking anything that's a little sweet, like rutabagas. Potatoes would work too, but the flavor would be pretty different.