Friday, October 24, 2008

Manna Mills



Whenever I'm in Edmunds I always find some excuse to stop by Manna Mills. Many years ago, when I first moved to the Seattle area, I was thrilled to discover this store, which had more of the feel of an east coast food coop than any store in the area, even the ones that are actually coops.

It's evolved over the years, keeping the same feeling but also developing different emphases. They now specialize in gluten free products, and all of their produce is certified organic. Their products include many obscure gems: you get the feeling they're more willing than most places to take risks on items that are consistent with their mission. (I once found horseradish flavored soy cheese there! I'm no fan of soy cheese, but even I couldn't resist that one.)

But the best thing about Manna Mills is in a jar by the counter: honey flavored candies called Pecan Pearls.

No comments: