Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Visit to Nash's Farm



Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting Nash's Organic Farm, in Sequim. They grow 50-60% of the produce my company uses. I went with Dylan, Heidi and Cypress from Green Go, and as we were leaving Heidi said, "Every time I visit a farm, I feel like it's the best farm I've ever seen."

I was thinking about that comment today, realizing how many of the farms in this area are unique and exciting in very different ways. Kia, one of the managers at Nash, was generous enough to spend most of the afternoon showing us around. I don't think she'd planned to spend quite that much time, but it was obvious that we were extremely interested, and there was so much to see.

Nash Huber started the farm more than thirty years ago squatting pieces of land in the area and growing crops organically on them. Eight years ago he was able to lease a big chunk of the Delta Farm through the PCC Farmland Trust, and that land now has pigs, chickens, turkeys, kale, cabbage and Brussels sprouts, among other things.

The fact that Kia spent so much time showing us around really brought home for me the fact that so many local organic farms are more than just places to grow food. They're places where ideas incubate, and laboratories for experimenting with techniques and seed varieties. Their work is important because they provide us with good food, and also because they're keeping alive a way of life that's in danger of becoming extinct, taking a very old endeavor and making it new again.

No comments: