Friday, January 16, 2009

PETA Misses the Point- Again



People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has recently announced the latest phase of their misguided campaign to lure people away from the folly of meat eating by offering them tasty vegan alternatives. This time they're offering a $10,000 prize for the best faux foie gras recipe.

Like PETA, I do think that, as a society, we eat way too much meat. Unlike PETA, I don't think that's going out to change as a result of campaigns that portray meat-eating as unequivocably evil, or by trying to persuade die-hard carnivores that vegan food tastes just as good.

I happen to think that a lot of vegan food tastes very, very good. But that's not the point. Meat tastes good too. But that's not the only reason people eat it. Meat-eating has as many complex layers of historical and cultural meaning as sex and family. It symbolizes power, opulence and celebration, among so many other things.

I tasted foie gras once. I was at a New Years party, and someone was passing around a tray of crackers with something spread on them. It's my personal policy to taste everything, so I tried some. It reminded me, more than anything, of the chopped liver I grew up with in the delis of Brooklyn. I only later learned what it really was. I was kind of glad that I hadn't known when the tray was passed my way: I'm not sure I would have tasted if I knew, and I feel lucky to have had the experience of a blind taste test.

It tasted good, in fact if I remember correctly, I helped myself to some more when the tray came back my way. But I wasn't blown away by it, in fact, I've had vegan pates that tasted as good.

Aside from the connoisseurs who genuinely love foie gras out of taste and tradition, I think that in recent years it's also become a flash point for rebellion against the food police. None of these folks are going to be swayed by a vegan alternative, no matter how good it tastes.

No comments: