Sunday, July 12, 2009

First Garden Meal



After being gone for a week it was exciting to come back and see how much my garden had grown. Yesterday I enjoyed my first meal made up of produce primarily from my own backyard. I cooked up some veggies with pasta, using collard greens, kale, broccoli, snow peas, fennel, onions, parsley, and summer savory that I grew myself. (I also used some zucchini and garlic from the farmers' market.)

When I read blogs written by seasoned gardeners I often feel humbled by the small scale of my own efforts and my considerable lack of knowledge and experience. But it was truly inspiring for me to prepare this meal.

I think what I'm going to enjoy the most about having this garden is being able to pick small quantities of herbs whenever I need them. I tend to buy fresh herbs in the supermarket even though the price is outrageous, there's far too much packaging, and I often can't use all of what I buy before they go bad. Having them fresh and ready right out my back door is a wonderful solution.

No comments: