Monday, September 7, 2009

A Very Rainy Day



My very first farmers' market was Fremont 1997, before the market outgrew the available space and the farmers' set up shop in Ballard. When I woke up on the morning I was supposed to start it was raining hard, so I called and said I couldn't make it.

I was thinking about that yesterday, as I stood outside shivering in the pouring rain on Mercer Island. These days I wouldn't dream of missing a market simply because of lousy weather (although we did miss one day in Ballard last year when we couldn't get the van in motion because of the ice and snow.)

I've come to see attendance on foul weather days as a way of expressing my commitment to the cause. In order for any market to succeed, customers need to know that they can count on it being there when it's supposed to be there, regardless of the weather, and that long term investment is more important than making a profit on any given day.

No comments: