Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Conspiracy Theory

I'm always up for a good conspiracy theory. I don't mean the kind of conspiracy where a cabal of secret power brokers meets and devises ways to rule the world. I think of conspiracy more like a tacit collusion of groups and individuals who have something to gain from supporting each other's interests. I think this definition of conspiracy goes a long way towards explaining how we've come to live in a world dominated by first world governments and corporations.

I was watching the Food Network the other day (cooking TV is my weakness) and I was struck by how often they run ads for processed convenience foods on shows where chefs are running around creating dazzling dishes. And it struck me that perhaps this culture of celebrity chefdom has actually been a big boon to the processed food industry by subliminally spreading the message that real cooking is dazzling, rather than manageable and accessible.

In an article last summer in the New York Times magazine, Michael Pollan wrote about the paradox between our collective fascination with cooking shows and the fact that so many of us spend so little time cooking. He suggested that cooking shows have in some sense filled a need that we have to get close to food. But I can't help wondering if there's actually something more sinister going on. Perhaps the more we watch these shows, and even watch local chefs perform at farmers' markets, the less we're inclined to cook for ourselves because we're not likely to duplicate their performances.

People keep coming up to me after my cooking classes and saying that they're grateful to finally have taken a class where they feel like they'll actually go home and cook the recipes. This thrills me.

No comments: