Thursday, April 8, 2010

Baking

I like to say that there are 2 kinds of people in the world: cooks and bakers. Cooks are free-spirited creative types. Bakers can follow instructions.

I am a cook. But I am also a caterer and from time to time I need to prepare desserts. My strategy has been to find a few recipes that are adaptable and forgiving, and make a slew of variations.

The recipe I use most is based on an oat an flour dough. I use it to make bars, with a crust on the bottom, a layer of fruit or chocolate, and more of the dough crumbled on top. It also works well for apple or berry crisps. I've taught this recipe in cooking classes and use it in four different recipes in my two cookbooks.

I usually prepare it without measuring. It doesn't always come out the same, but it is always appealing. This week, however, I had a miserable failure. The bars were hard and crumbly instead of soft and chewy. I made three pans, or 72 bars, for a catering gig tomorrow and I just can't use them. I think I used too much flour. Either that, or the baking soda was old so the crust didn't rise.

I like to say that the difference between a good cook and a great cook is that a great cook can fix anything. But this one is just beyond me. Live and learn.

No comments: