Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Vegfest 2010



This past weekend I participated in the annual Vegfest, a busy event promoting vegetarian food choices.

I've been part of Vegfest since the beginning, nine years ago, watching it grow into the biggest vegetarian food festival in North America. Each year I cater a dinner for the principal people involved the night before the event starts. I found my publisher for Local Bounty at the Vegfest.

There's so much I'd like this event to be that it isn't. The organizers tend to play it safe, focusing on processed grocery products and meat substitutes. Things change very little from year to year.

Despite my ambivalence, I'm impressed year after year by the enthusiasm of the volunteers. This year they signed up more than a thousand people to hand out food samples, distribute sampling supplies, and even sweep the floors. Many of them seemed very, very young. I found this inspiring.

No comments: