Thursday, April 24, 2008

Gearing Up for Market Season



  1. The hard core market season will be starting next week, although I'll be phasing in different events over the next month and a half. Columbia City starts this coming Wednesday, Wallingford and Mad-Cap start in the middle of May, and Magnolia, Lake City and Queen Anne will be starting in June. Ballard and the University District have been running all winter, of course.

It's a time for buying equipment, paying lots of money for health permits, and finishing up those winter projects that certainly aren't going to get done this summer.

Each market has a different rhythm. For me Columbia City, Mad-Cap and Magnolia peak early, while Lake City stays pretty steady throughout the season and Ballard is craziest in the fall. I'm grateful that they don't all peak at once, and I'm glad I've been doing this long enough to have some idea of what to expect.

I'm looking forward to trading with the farmers and catching glimpses of each new fruit and vegetable as it comes into season. By the time October comes around I'll be good and ready to slow down, but right now I can't wait to start.

No comments: