Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Twenty Cents Per Bag



I was waiting in line at the supermarket today. When the woman in front of me was asked whether she wanted her groceries packed in paper or plastic, she asked, "Do we have to pay that 20 cents per bag yet?"

I said that I thought that law was going into effect at the beginning of next year, and the guy behind me said, "The mayor should stick to some of his other brilliant ideas, like building a tunnel under the waterfront."

The woman in front of me said, "Will we have to pay 20 cents for garbage bags?"

The man said, "You won't be allowed to have garbage any more. We'll all have to eat our garbage."

For those of you who aren't from Seattle, the legislature is working on passing a bill imposing a 20 cent tax on all grocery bags, paper or plastic. I think it's a great idea. Apparently, not everyone agrees.

No comments: