Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chopping Onions


  1. I've heard of many different tricks to keep your eyes from tearing when you're cutting onions. Some people refrigerate them before they chop them. Others hold something between their teeth to keep their mouths open. I've also heard it helps to use a really sharp knife, and one woman who worked for me always used to keep a fan blowing while she prepped them.

My advice: suck it up. Deal with it. The more onions you cut, the less they affect you. Some individual onions are especially potent, but I haven't yet figured out a way to identify them ahead of time.

1 comment:

ash said...

onions do make me tear up sometimes. a good trick for eating raw onions that really works...rince them off in very cold water prior to adding them to a dish. takes away the potency and leaves the sweet!