Monday, March 9, 2009

Trader Joe's Chocolate Sampler

  1. I was at Trader Joe a few months ago and I noticed that by the cash registers they were selling stacks of chocolate bars from different parts of the world, as a sampler to taste and compare. They were selling the package for $10-I'd seen similar products for as much as $40. But I try not to buy things on impulse. When I see something I want I usually walk away from it, and if I find myself continuing to think about it, I go back and get it.

I went back for the chocolate bars a few days later but they were gone, and when I asked about them I was told that the distributor was out as well, and they'd be back some time during the coming year. I spotted them again a few weeks ago and this time I'd learned my lesson, so I bought them right away.

So far we've tried the varietals from Equador, Dominican Republic, and Ghana. I think this kind of product is intended for a group of people, say at a dinner party, where you can open all the bars and taste a little of each one after another. We've been opening one every day or two and finishing it so we don't end up with eight open chocolate bars. The ones we've tried have all been lovely--and a little different--but it's too much of a lag for us to really compare.

Still, we've been having a lot of fun with the package, so the next time I shopped at TJ I tried to pick up another one. Sure enough, they were gone. I guess I'll be enjoying this product every few months, when my timing is right.

1 comment:

LiAli4eva said...

I was given this chocolate as a gift from another teacher that I work with. At first I was hesitant to open it. Once I did, I didn't share it with anyone. I opened one bar at a time and each day I would break off a tiny square as I left the house for work in the morning. I ate this chocolate for months and loved it. I just found out that my new job is two blocks from a Trader Joe's so I need to start getting back into shopping there.