Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Gardening Retrospective



Summer is over, and my humble garden is descending into chaos. Actually, it's been getting progressively more chaotic since early summer when I got too busy to keep up, right around the same time that I got a rather sobering water bill.

So I'm asking myself whether it was worth it, and whether I'll do it again next year. I didn't get a ton of food from my endeavor, in fact, the dollar value of the food I got was probably less than what I spent.

And the food I grew didn't taste particularly good, especially compared to the stuff I was bringing home from the markets. But that's not being fair to myself: I'm comparing my amateur fumbling to the work of some talented, dedicated professionals.

The thing I enjoyed most about having a garden was having a range of stuff right there, whenever I wanted it. Especially the herbs: mint and dill, some basil and a couple of varieties of parsley managed to survive, and I enjoyed them thoroughly. And there are still plenty of greens, and even an occasional tomato.

And just as I'm thinking about pulling the plug on the whole endeavor, I'm finding some wonderful surprises. An artichoke plant that I thought was long dead has suddenly resurrected itself, looking quite happy. The sorrel that I'd given up on is thriving, and I'm seeing some glimmers of hope where I thought all was lost: tiny heads of cabbage and cauliflower, and even a single, baby habanero.

I think it's the surprises, really, that make me feel that it'll be worth doing again next year. I'll plant fewer tomatoes, so I'll use less water. I'll probably plant mostly greens, because they seem to be the hardiest. But I'm not quite ready to give up yet.

No comments: