Monday, October 26, 2009

Sneeze Guards



Lately health inspectors have been telling me to put my salsa in squeeze bottles, rather than in a container with a spoon. I assume that's because of all the concern about the H1N1 virus. I can't put my salsa in squeeze bottles because it's chunky. I used squeeze bottles when I first started, many years ago, but I stopped after watching a lady squeeze too hard and spurt salsa on a beautiful dress. Besides, it would be a nightmare for the kitchen crew to get the salsa into the squeeze bottles.

So I came up with a solution: I made sneeze guards by cutting spoon-size notches out of the salsa container lids. I saw a health inspector on Saturday and she seemed perfectly happy with this strategy. But it doesn't seem to be working for the customers. Every time I use these lids, I look over after an hour or two, and see that someone has removed them. You just can't get as much salsa out of the container with a sneeze guard in the way.

No comments: