Monday, September 29, 2008

Baby Artichokes



My latest culinary infatuation: baby artichokes. They grow on the same plants as the big ones, but they just don't grow as big. I've prepared them in the past by just cutting them in quarters and pan frying them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then eating them by just scraping out the tasty middle. But I finally figured out how to make a fresh version of the canned artichoke hearts that have always been one of my favorite foods.

Because baby artichokes have no "choke", or gristle on the inside, all you have to do is trim the tops and bottoms, and peel off the outer leaves. I found that the leaves come off more easily if you trim the tops and bottoms first, and as the leaves in the center become more difficult to remove they also become more tender, so that's the time to stop peeling them.

Once they're trimmed, they need to be boiled for twenty minutes or so in water along with some lemon or vinegar: I use about 2 tablespoons vinegar in a quart of water. Once they're ready I've been cooking them in olive oil along with garlic, salt, basil, and halved cherry tomatoes. Then I eat them with pasta...or by themselves. I do love this season.

No comments: