Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Gardening Regrets



Tomato season is drawing to a close and, with 11 tomato plants, all I've managed to harvest was a few handfuls of cherry tomatoes and one very tasty full size beefsteak. I have dozens of green tomatoes, but the weather is going to turn soon so I don't think they'll have enough time to ripen.

I should have put the plants in the ground earlier. I should have added more compost and organic fertilizer to the soil. I should have weeded more diligently. I should have allowed more space between the plants. I should have picked a spot that was sunny all day, instead of just in the morning. I should have staked the two plants that I put in later than the others.

It's not like I've had to go without tomatoes--or even spectacular tomatoes--because my humble garden didn't produce, in fact, I'm still scrambling to use all of the fine tomatoes I'm bringing home from the farmers' markets. I mostly planted this garden to see if I could keep it up, to have the experience of caring for the plants regularly. On that score I had mixed success: I did, at least, keep up with the watering, and I certainly felt connected with the process, watching the plants develop and start to produce.

I'll try again next year, incorporating some of this year's lessons, and then I'll try again the year after, and the year after that.

No comments: