Friday, April 3, 2009

Cover Crop Inspiration



Last week Nash's Farm was selling bags of cover crop seeds, a mixture of vetch and clover that fixes nitrogen into the soil, acting as a natural fertilizer. I love to see farmers expanding their offerings, especially during lean times of year, so I picked up a bag even though I probably won't use it until late fall.

It did get me inspired, though, to start digging in my own garden. As I've mentioned before, I'm not much of a gardener but I do have a deep respect--even a reverence--for agriculture and lately I've been feeling like it's important to get my hands dirty and to have a more intimate experience with the process of growing some of the food that I enjoy cooking.

I'm thinking of it as a multi-year process. Just as farmers need to get to know the idiosyncacies of their own soil, I'm going to learn over time what does best in my particular backyard microclimate, and what's hardy enough to survive my own lack of skill and my inability to follow instructions.

No comments: