Thursday, April 16, 2009

Seeds



As I plant my humble garden, I'm trying to take particular care in choosing the seeds. I especially like the ones that seem to come from companies that are on board with the idea of seeds saving as a radical endeavor, an antidote to the hijacking of seed stocks by multinational corporations like Monsanto.

Seed Savers Exchange seemed to be right up my alley, as did Uprising Seeds. I was also drawn to some packets that looked like they came from small operations or people who like to cook.

I did buy a couple of packets from Seeds of Change, which sounded like a company breaking away from the mainstream. (Besides, they had seeds for quinoa and tepary beans, which both sounded exciting.) It wasn't until I got them home that I remembered hearing at some point that the Seeds of Change food company was owned by a larger corporation. I did some cursory research and found that they are, in fact, owned by the M&M Mars Company. So much for stepping out of the mainstream.

No comments: