Saturday, March 29, 2008

Chickpeas with Leeks and Herbs



This weekend is the annual Vegfest at the Seattle Center. Each year I cater a dinner the night before the event starts for the principal people involved. It's one of my favorite meals that I prepare all year because I'm cooking for cookbook authors and other people who are heavily involved in the food world. Here's a recipe I came up with for this year's dinner.

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 leek, cut in half lengthwise, cleaned well, and sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon

1/2 teaspoon salt

black pepper to taste

2 cups chickpeas, cooked or canned

1 tablespoon champagne vinegar

1. Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan, then add the leek and garlic. Cook on medium low heat for about five minutes, until the leek is soft. Turn off the heat, then add the chives, tarragon, salt and pepper.

3. Combine this mixture with the chickpeas and vinegar. Serve at room temperature.

2 comments:

Divazinc said...

I had some of Devra's chickpea salad this weekend. AMAZING recipe. I am eating some of the leftovers from her the dinner she catered at VegFest now and am loving it. I think it is my favorite way to eat chickpea's so far in my life. Seriously. Thanks for the recipe. Will you be serving it ever at Patty Pan Grill in Ballard???

Devra said...

Thanks! I could probably be persuaded...