Thursday, March 13, 2008

Cooking is Not a Competitive Sport


I'm embarassed to say that I watched the season premiere of Top Chef last night. For me Top Chef is like a train wreck: it horrifies me, and yet I can't look away. I'll probably watch the whole season. After all, they give you so many opportunities to make up the episodes you miss.

The idea of cooking as a competitive sport is bizarre to me. Granted, Top Chef is hardly the only show to do that, but something about the mix hooks me in spite of myself. I think it has something to do with the fact that the contestants are professionals, but not celebrities.

It's about everything I don't want to be as a cook. You'll never catch me in a chef coat, and the recipes that make me most proud are the ones with the fewest ingredients.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens...

No comments: