Tuesday, March 25, 2008

March Is National Frozen Food Month



I rolled my eyes the first time I saw this sign: just another trade organization making another desperate grab for our attention.

But then I got to thinking about frozen foods, and I started feeling like maybe they are worth celebrating.

Despite the ubiquity of TV dinners, frozen foods are far superior to canned foods in flavor and also in nutritional content. All in all, freezing may be the best way to preserve food, although drying certainly has its benefits, and even pickling can make a tasty product.

Clarence Birdseye invented the frozen food process in 1923. He'd observed people in northern climates storing food in ice, and was looking for a way to preserve seasonal produce. As an aspiring locavore, I can certainly appreciate the sentiment.

No comments: