Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Hand Truck at the Market



My shop is a block and a half from the Ballard Farmers' Market. This is quite convenient for those frequent occasions when we forget something, or when we're running out of food or supplies.
  1. When we go back for something heavy or bulky, we transport it with a hand truck. This can be tricky, because the market is crowded and I always want to move as quickly as possible because the situation feels urgent.

It's difficult to navigate the crowded market quickly with a hand truck. Having grown up in New York City, I approach it the way I approach moving through crowds there: look for openings and slip into them. But that doesn't always work at the market. People move slowly and erratically, and they stop or step backwards without warning and often without even looking. It's easy to run into someone's foot, even when I carefully chart my path.

I'm trying to slow down. It's never worth hurting someone, even if the supplies arrive a little later. And we want people to be engaged and curious. That's what makes it a great market.

No comments: