Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Purslane



The past few years a number of local farmers have begun growing purslane, a leafy green, succulent vegetable. Purslane has been cultivated since ancient times and has historically been a part of European kitchen gardens, but until relatively recently it was mostly considered a weed in the United States.

There has been a growing interest in it lately largely because it contains omega 3 fatty acids, an essential nutrient that's far more common in cold water fish than in leafy greens. The leaves are kind of spongy, and they have a lemony tang.

Last summer I'd regularly pick up a small bag of purslane from Local Roots Farm on Fridays at the Madrona Farmers Market. I'd always think I was going to cook something with it or use it in a salad, but I'd just end up tearing off leaves and snacking on them all the way home, without even thinking about what I was doing.

Sounds like something my body needs.

No comments: