Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sicilian Olive Oil at the Local Market



On Saturday I arrived at the Magnolia Farmers Market and discovered that I'd forgotten to bring cooking oil. I frantically looked around and discovered that the folks from Mondella Ristorante were selling olive oil. This seemed strange, because the market is restricted to local products, but I was so glad to see something that would work for my purposes that I bought first, and asked questions later.

The oil smelled exquisite, too good, really to be using on the grill. You're not supposed to use olive oil when you're cooking on high heat, so I used it sparingly and tried to keep the burners on a lower setting than usual.

At the end of the day I went up to the folks who were selling it and asked what the story was. They said they imported it directly from a friend of the family in Sicily. They must have gotten some kind of special dispensation from the market administrators, in fact, I'm surprised they're letting them sell it there at all because they're usually so strict about only allowing items that have been locally produced, but I'm thrilled that it's available to me there, with such a short supply chain.

I brought the rest of the bottle home. It has that wonderful bite in the back of your throat that you get with truly well-made olive oils.

No comments: