Thursday, May 7, 2009

Happy Beans


  1. I planted my seeds way too early-about a month ago. Since then the weather has been far from warm, it's even frosted several times. Being a novice at this endeavor I'd figured I could either read extensively, get confused by conflicting information and instructions I don't have the time or resources to follow, or I could just plunge in, see what worked, and make adjustments next year.

I picked up a package of seeds for Calypso beans. I liked the name and they looked pretty. When I opened the packet I found myself holding a handful of beans that would have cost about 25 cents at the store, so I did a bit of internet research and learned that you can plant everyday, ordinary beans, but you should wrap them in a wet paper towel and leave them for a few days first, to see if they germinate. I picked up some cranberry beans, which I love, and they germinated very happily so I planted several rows of them, too.

Now I have quite a few little bean plants. There are new ones every day, and sometimes they even seem to have grown between morning and evening. I can't tell if any of my herbs are coming up, though I planted them at around the same time. But there's a reason the fairy tale is called "Jack and the Beanstalk," and not "Jack and the Parsley Plant." Beans grow really fast.

No comments: