Monday, May 4, 2009

Tilth Edible Plant Sale 2009



This is the line of people waiting to get into the Tilth Edible Plant Sale at 8:20 this Saturday morning. By the time the sale started at 9:00 the line stretched all the way around the perimeter of the neighboring field. There must have been about 400 people waiting. The organizers staggered the number of people they let in at any one time to avert total mayhem, so the line was that long for the first hour and a half or so.

I've been selling food at this event for 5 years now, but I've never seen anything like this. It's exciting to see so many people excited about gardening.

My own sales weren't significantly better than previous years, but that's okay, people are there to buy plants, not lunch. I love working with this organization and being part of this event. They charge vendors a hefty percentage--20% of gross sales--and I wouldn't even participate in an event where I had to pay that high a fee if it wasn't run by such a wonderful group of people, for such a worthy cause.

No comments: