Monday, May 18, 2009

Learning Curve



I sold food at the University District Street Fair this past weekend. It was a humbling experience. It's been a while since I lost money on an event. I try to stay philosophical about this kind of thing: it comes with the territory.

This is a picture of the very busy food court, which was across the street from the very slow food court where my booth was situated. I can definitely blame some of my poor sales on the lousy location, put I was probably given the lousy spot because I have no seniority at this event.

It would be easy to conclude, after a weekend of watching folks walking by eating curly fries and deep fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, that people are just ignorant and shallow. But I'm going to take this in a different direction. I know how to succeed at farmers' markets, but I don't yet know how to succeed in this kind of venue. I know, for one thing, that you need bigger signs.

I want to learn to do well at this kind of event also. It's not going to happen all at once, but I'm going to keep trying. As soon as I started looking at it this way, I started to feel much better about being there.

No comments: