Friday, May 15, 2009

Opening Day at the Bellevue Farmers' Market


  1. Yesterday was opening day at the Bellevue Farmers Market. This year the market moved to a new location but it was my first day there, so I couldn't compare it to the old location. It's now located right across from the mall in the parking lot of a vacant grocery store, in the shadow of Macy's and the Bellevue Art Museum.

It was an interesting experience for me because I vend at so many markets with a distinctly urban feel, and this was definitely a suburban market. It was hard to imagine that there was any foot traffic, in fact, even the vendor parking lot was four blocks away.

In spite of my ambivalence to suburbia, I thought it was a lovely market with a lot of potential. The community was enthusiastic, and the folks in charge seemed to take their job very seriously without being overbearing. It's tough to stage a market without a lot of infrastructure and experience. I always enjoy watching markets evolve and, even though I missed the first few years of this one, I look foward to seeing how it grows.

No comments: