Friday, May 8, 2009

Washing Dishes


  1. From time to time I get a call from someone who tells me they're a vegan chef, and asks me if I'm hiring. I always want to ask whether they're also willing to graciously wash dishes. In my experience a gracious dish washer is much harder to come by than a vegan chef.

I once had an employee who'd say, "I went to college. I shouldn't have to wash the dishes." I always wanted to respond that I have two masters degrees, and I don't consider it beneath me. I like for my employees to see me washing the dishes regularly. I feel that it gives me moral authority. If I'm doing it too, then nobody else has the right to complain.

I like to wash dishes when I'm feeling overwhelmed. It's a simple, concrete, life-affirming activity that helps to put everything else into perspective.

No comments: