Sunday, June 7, 2009

Franchising



A few months ago a guy who'd been working with Zane and Zack, my neighbors at the Ballard Farmers Market, approached me and asked if I'd be interested in a franchise-type arrangement where he'd operate a booth a lot like mine at a few markets north of Seattle.

I was intrigued by the idea and agreed to mull it over. I've long thought that my concept would be easy to franchise because it's easy to replicate: that's how we're able to do multiple events on the same day.

I was a bit skeptical about whether he'd really follow through with it once he started looking into permits and jumping through hoops, but I agreed to work with him, if only to get some experience with this type of arrangement. I said I didn't think it would be kosher for him to use the name "Patty Pan Grill" when I'm already using it, so he's calling his operation "Mike's Patty Pan Grill". He'll buy the prepped veggies, tamales, and lemonade concentrate from me and carry his own insurance.

He called me this past week and told me he was ready. Today I went down to the Everett Farmers' Market, where he was setting up his stand for the very first time. I was impressed at how well he'd covered his bases, especially considering the fact that he has virtually no foodservice experience. I taught him and his brother how to cook the menu items and took off after a few hours, once I was confident that they had it down.

I'd never been to the Everett market before, so I was grateful for an excuse to see it. It's right on the water (which must be stressful on windy days, but was lovely today.) I saw some vendors I know, and many who were unfamiliar to me. I think it'll be a good place for him to get started. Good luck Mike!

2 comments:

BJ said...

Very interesting! I hope this works out well for you.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words Dev. -Mike