Sunday, June 14, 2009

Week 3 of the Meadowbrook Farmers' Market



  1. I'm curious to see how the Meadowbrook Farmers' Market pans out over time. The first week exceeded my expectations (which were low,) but the second week was slow. I stopped by today and sales seemed pretty steady, but I have yet to take a look at the tell tale till.

Rebekah from "Eat all About It" wrote a post this week addressing the question of whether or not the market for farmers' markets in Seattle is saturated. (I think not.) Several readers commented that the Meadowbrook Market was evidence that there are, in fact, too many markets in town. I was sad to read this, and I hope that enough folks in the neighborhood can get past the fact that there really aren't many vendors there, and come around to realize that a new market--especially an independent market on a residential street, like this one--takes time to get established, and we all have more to gain by focusing on what this market has, rather than on what it doesn't have. I also hope that enough vendors are willing to give it a chance long enough for it to get on its feet.

I don't live especially close to the Meadowbrook Farmers' Market, but I do live in a neighbohood where--like the area right near that market--there are no grocery stores nearby. I would love to have a destination like this right near my house, someplace with quality local products that I could walk to and shop, even if the selection is limited. If we want to build a strong local food economy, we have to be willing to nurture even small projects like this one, especially when we're lucky enough to have them right near our homes.

No comments: