Saturday, August 15, 2009

Corn Conundrum



This week I had two customers ask me within a day of each other whether I use organic corn in my tamales. I don't, and it's safe to assume these days that most inorganic corn is genetically modified. I'm surprised that people don't ask more often, in fact, I can't remember anyone asking for years.

I started making and selling tamales 12 years ago, before genetically modified foods were on our collective radar screen. From time to time I experiment with organic products that are sold and labelled as "masa," but the tamales have never turned out right. Either the flour is too finely ground, or it doesn't set in the same way as the stuff I've always used. I'd happily pay more for organic masa that makes great tamales, but I haven't been able to find any.

I did an internet search recently looking for organic masa, and found some heroic stories of people grinding their own organic corn. That's not an option for my company.

I buy my masa in 50 lb. bags from a Mexican distributor in White Center. I haven't discussed this issue with them because I don't feel that it's my place to tell them what kind of corn they should use.

I'm certainly disturbed by the way genetically modified foods have infiltrated the food supply, but I don't vet every food I eat to make sure it doesn't contain them. Once you start thinking about it, every industrial product that contains corn or soy probably has genetically modified ingredients. Mainstream meat and dairy products come from animals that have probably been eating genetically modified foods. An organic farmer overheard one of the exchanges I had with a customer about the issue, and she pointed out that the compostable cups that everyone thinks are so great probably come from genetically modified crops as well.

Making a product and selling it to the public involves a different level of responsibility than choosing what to put in my own body. I've been in denial about the fact that this product is not consistent with my values, and I've been able to continue in this mode because so few people have taken me to task about it.

So after hearing from the second customer I did what I always do when I face a moral dilemma in the course of running my business: I discussed it openly with my employees. They weren't even aware of the issue, so it was an opportunity to explain. Now I'm writing this post, because I want to be open about it. I'll keep looking for a better product. But I probably won't stop making tamales and selling them, even if I don't find a better alternative. There are so many things about the food system that aren't the way I want them to be. We each pick our battles and struggle with our own contradictions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Then there's the problem of Organic, but coming from China especially for beans and such.
But for corn, Bob's Red Mill uses NW-grown, certified organic corn in a variety of grinds. They're very friendly, good service, give wholesale pricing, but then there's shipping.
If more people ask La Mexicana for non-GMO, they're more likely to consider it.

Devra said...

I've only been able to find a fine grind masa from Bob's Red Mill-it's right for tortillas but wrong for tamales. It also doesn't set, but stays sticky and you have to cook it much, much longer to get any degree of structural integrity.