Monday, August 17, 2009

Unemployment in Ballard



For the past month or so I've been offering a 50% discount at all the markets where I vend for anyone who says they're unemployed. At most markets 2 or 3 people avail themselves of the opportunity, but the number is somewhat higher at Lake City.

Yesterday I was at the Ballard Market for the first time in months. (I've been at Mercer Island on Sundays.) I didn't specifically count, but I'd guess that at least 20 people asked for the discount.

There was one group of well dressed people in their early 20's, who all ordered lunch and asked for the discount and, for the first time, I felt taken advantage of. It didn't help that they couldn't quite grasp the concept of standing in line and waiting for their turn.

My father, who is a charitable guy (hi Stanley!) says that if someone puts themselves in the position of asking for help, it isn't his place to judge whether or not they need it. I kept reminding myself of this after seeing this group, with their sense of entitlement.

3 comments:

Matt said...

I just wanted to thank you for this very generous policy. I'm unemployed, but paid full price today at the Queen Anne market. For one, I'm getting by. Secondly, I want to support someone who does this whenever possible. Also, your quesadillas are amazing and worth the price.

Keep up the great work.

shecouldbe said...

just because you're "well dressed" doesn't mean you don't have a need or aren't unemployed. you're really judgemental. there are tons of everyday people who are unemployed, even homeless. it seems kind of crazy for you to offer this phoney discount and then put down the people that ask for it. it's called an economy, and it's in the toilet in case you haven't noticed. I'm seeing more and more that I will no longer be frequenting your booth because you remind me of a psuedo liberal or armchair liberal. someone one who's liberal when it's convenient to them, but when it comes to real life situations, (someone needing to sell corn to support themselves and didn't make it into the exclusive "club", or someone who used to have a great job but no longer has one) you're really not a liberal at all. you're more of a phoney.

Devra said...

Have a nice day.