Friday, August 7, 2009

Zucchini Moratorium



My kitchen staff has instructed me not to bring any more zucchini back from the markets (at least for now.) But I can't help myself. Farmers I like, who I've been working with for a very long time, keep bringing me beautiful zucchini. So I'm trying to at least be very selective about who I'm buying it from. On the bright side, we're developing some better systems for dating incoming produce and keeping track of stock.

My purchasing strategy has always been to buy what's available, trust that it will somehow be enough, and trust that we're somehow going to go through it all. My philosophy is certainly being challenged here, but I'm trying to stick with it as much as possible. One farmer told me that, with the weather being so dry, there isn't going to be a whole lot of zucchini in a week or two. We'll see.

No comments: