Friday, August 28, 2009

Why I Love the Madrona Farmers' Market



Out of the dozen markets where my business vends, Madrona is my favorite (though I also enjoy Queen Anne and Ballard very, very much.) I realized the other day why I Madrona is so special to me.

I've been growing convinced lately that our best bet for making sustainable food into an accessible, affordable option for a wide range of people will be to embrace where we are at this moment in time, that is, with one foot in the industrial system and the other foot in the world of better food. In other words, we're going to get more mileage by thoughtfully choosing which sustainable items we can afford, and which we can't afford not to choose, than by emulating celebrity chefs and folks on quixotic quests to eat nothing but local food for a year.

I can't think of a more apt expression of this idea than a farmers' market in the parking lot of a grocery outlet.

No comments: