Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bastyr Herb and Food Fair



  1. Today we set up our grills at Bastyr University, the local naturopathic college. This is the fifth year we've sold food at this fair, and definitely our most successful.

Other than farmers' markets, we only do a handful of events each year, usually mid-size gatherings that draw the kinds of people who enjoy fresh, seasonal food. I like events that are big enough to be worthwhile, but small enough that most other food concessions aren't interested.

The health department charges more than $200 for a temporary food service permit, whether it's for a one-day event or a farmers' market that happens weekly. That means we have to choose venues very carefully. I tend to choose events run by organizations that I believe in, and people I enjoy working with.

Bastyr University is located in a lovely, wooded state park. There are greenhouses and herb gardens, and massage therapists and herbalists. I wasn't able to get out of the booth much to enjoy it all, but I was glad to be surrounded all day by good people doing good work.

No comments: