Friday, May 16, 2008

Opening Day at the Wallingford Farmers' Market



Wednesday was opening day at the Wallingford Farmers' Market. I wasn't there personally because I was busy catering for the Vegetarians of Washington, but Adam the grillmeister du jour, took some pictures.

I'd had low expectations for this market. The one prepared food vendor I know who gave it a try dropped out after two weeks. A farmer friend told me that she does well there, but only because so many of the other farmers' dropped out.

Our first day there dramatically exceeded my expectations (which, as you can tell, were low.) I'd decided to do this market even though I wasn't expecting much because I have such a simple operation that I really don't have to sell much at any particular market to have a profitable day.

I've been vending at farmers' markets for a long time, and most of them start slow. I was doing the Ballard Market when it was barely worth doing, and now it's the best market in the city. There's no telling which market is going to turn into the next Ballard, and when one does, I want to be there with seniority and an established customer base.

No comments: