Thursday, May 15, 2008

Catering Quantities



I catered the monthly dinner last night for the Vegetarians of Washington. That crowd eats a lot of food. I think it's because it's a paid all-you-can-eat dinner, and folks are trying to get their money's worth.

Catering quantities are funny. People eat less at networking events, when they're trying to make an impression. Nobody wants to look like a pig.

People eat more when they're comfortable. A predominantly Jewish crowd will eat quite a bit. (I'm allowed to say that, because I'm Jewish.) An Italian friend says the same thing about Italians. I don't think it's because we're gluttons, but we do we come from cultures that are comfortable about celebrating food.

A couple of times I've catered weddings where the bride and groom's friends camped out for a few days before the event at facility in the woods. Then they hired me to come in and make a meal. You need to have a crazy amount of food on hand for a dinner like that. Everyone's been eating peanut butter and jelly for days. They're ready for dinner.

No comments: