Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Gardening Aspirations



I've never been much of a gardener, but I really do want to grow some of my own food. I blame it on the fact that I grew up in the big city, but that's really just an excuse. My brother has a lovely garden (although he's more interested in growing stuff than in harvesting it.)

Last year I tried a container garden behind my shop. Lynn, my plant guru, helped me out but there just wasn't enough sun so we only got a handful of tomatoes.

This year I've picked out a sunny spot behind my house and I'm going to give it another go. I've been trading quesadillas for tomato starts at the markets, and I've also acquired a handful of potted herbs planted in worm compost, in pots that are supposed to be deep enough that I won't have to transplant them. I want to make the whole process as idiot-proof as possible.

Who knows? Maybe this will be the year I actually make it happen. I think of people who try to stop smoking twenty or thirty times before they actually quit. Each attempt does bring them a tiny step closer to success.

No comments: