Friday, May 9, 2008

Grandma's Cuisinart



I inherited my grandmother's Cuisinart when she died fourteen years ago. It was immaculate and she'd saved the box, of course.

We had a strong cooking connection. For years before she died she used to ask me what I wanted of hers when she was gone, and I never knew what to say. Then one evening soon after I learned she was terminally ill I woke up in the middle of the night with the answer: I wanted her pots and pans. I called and told her, but by that point she was past caring.

I used her Cuisinart at home for a while, and then a few years ago I brought it to work because the one we were using there was broken. In my commercial kitchen it's gotten banged up--the bowl is cracked, and I melted part of the chord--but I've thought of her every time I used it.

Today I bought a new Cuisinart, because I found a great price on one with a larger bowl, and this one was getting to the point where you had to finesse it. I brought it home, where I'll still be using it, but I did want to take a moment to honor this fine piece of equipment and, of course, my grandmother.

1 comment:

stockpeople said...

Grandma's stuff is the best! It takes us back to the issue of waste. We have lots of 10-30 year old kitchen equipment which works way better than the crappy $20 apple peeler/corer I bought and broke after 2 weeks! Better quality, less waste!