Friday, August 1, 2008

The Slowest Market Day of the Year



Yesterday was the slowest market day I've had all year. I was at the Queen Anne Farmers' Market, where I never sell much during the early part of the day, but the farmers who do start off strong there said they were having a great day until it started raining. The rain was steady and persistent. A few hardy customers showed up, but mostly it was just vendors, bartering and trying to stay dry.

Despite the weather, it's curious that this was my slowest day all year. I was doing markets in January and February, and one awful snowy weekend in April. It poured all day on Easter Sunday, and we still saw more customers than we did yesterday.

I think the weather affected yesterday's market so much because there are so many more markets to attend during the summer. If it rains on Thursday for the Queen Anne Market, folks in the neighborhood can go to Magnolia on Saturday. If it rains on Wednesday for Columbia City, they can shop at Madrona on Friday. It's hard to remember precisely, but I don't think lousy summer weather had quite as much of an effect on sales back when there were only a couple of markets.

For myself, I've finally learned to relax on slow days. It's been a great season, but on any particular day, anything can happen.

No comments: