Monday, August 18, 2008

Tilted Peach Tasting



There was a peach tasting at the Magnolia Farmers' Market on Saturday, with a volunteer bringing around a tray of samples from different farms. She pointed out her favorite, from Billy's Farm in Tonasket, and I had to agree that it was the most flavorful of the options.

I was surprised that the sample from Pipitone Farm wasn't as tasty as it should have been: I've had plenty of their fruit, and it's always wonderful. Later in the day it hit me: I'd been working in the stall next to theirs, and any time anyone had come up to the booth asking for a peach to eat right away, they'd said that the peaches had just been picked and wouldn't be ripe until the following day. And yet those were the peaches that were being used for the sampling.

I'm sure there was nothing deliberate about the decision to sample peaches on a day when this particular farm's fruit wasn't quite ripe. I'm also not convinced that this sort of thing makes that much difference in the overall scheme of things. Pipitone Farms has been around for many, many years, farming organically for longer than almost anyone else in the area. They've built up a customer base over the years, and one day of tilted sampling isn't going to change that. Still, I wish there was some way to do it over, on a day when their peaches are perfect.

No comments: